Every week in December, Dreierlei presents a new recipe. This time it’s the favourite dish of Swedish King Adolf Fredrik. In fact, he loved this dessert so much that he ate himself to death. But don’t worry – you’ll be fine as long as you don’t copy the king and devour 14 servings of semla after a huge meal!
Makes 6 buns
Preparation incl. resting time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 20 minutes at 180°C in the centre of the oven
- 35 g butter
- 125 ml milk
- 12 g yeast
- 30 g sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1.5 tsp ground cardamom 210 g flour
- 1 egg
- 100 g marzipan
- 35 ml milk
- 80 g butter
- 80 g double cream (Whipped cream made with double cream holds its shape longer, but single cream can be used if you serve the semla immediately.)
Dreierlei is a Zurich-based catering and event planning company. Owners Flavia Flüeler and Niklas Haak pour their heart and soul into their work – because they love what they do and do what they love. From simple to extravagant, Dreierlei will spoil you and your guests with unique food creations. The team will also gladly look after your whole event with a service that is personal, professional, but uncomplicated.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in lukewarm milk and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the flour, salt and cardamom. Add flakes of soft butter to the mixture and stir briefly.
- Form a well in the flour mixture and pour in the milk/sugar/yeast mixture. Mix well and knead into a smooth dough. Cover the dough with a warm, damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- After it has risen, knead well again and form into 6 evenly sized balls. Space them out on a tray lined with baking paper and leave to rest for another 10 minutes.
- Brush the buns with beaten egg, place in the middle of the oven and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Take out of the oven, cover with a dry kitchen towel and leave to cool.
- Once the buns have cooled, cut off the top quarter and set aside – we will need them again later on. Hollow out the semla with a spoon or fork and place the crumbs in a bowl with the marzipan and milk. Mix by hand or with a food processor until smooth, then fill the semla with this mixture.
- Whip the double cream until stiff and spoon into a piping bag. Top the semla with whipped cream, add the lid and dust with icing sugar.
- Arrange the semla individually in a deep dish, add the warmed milk and serve. Semla can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
View posts by interests, or use the proximity search and additional filters. .
Save posts as favourites – simply click on the heart symbol in the upper right corner of the post.